Sunday, November 7, 2010

Holiday in London!

It had been a dream ever since I returned last year from London go back to visit, and I was able to go for eighteen days at the end of August! I wasn't sure how I'd feel going back: would people remember me? what is the neighborhood like? What would I do for fun? Who would I get to see? Life was full enough before going that these thoughts didn't plague me too much:)
While spending an extra day in Philly due to a mishap with the airlines, i studied for a test and got to know a football (soccer) coach from N. England-which helped the time pass. From the moment I saw my friends greet me at the Heathrow until I left, I felt warmly received and had an amazing time reconnecting with a place that had become home. I didn't miss the big city or tourist places, I missed relationships, so my highlights might seem small unless you know their depth:

1. the normalcy of seeing your old neighborhood
having my old CC, travel card (oyster), mobile and knowing the area made getting around much easier. I was dropped off for lunch at someone's house from the airport, walked into the charity shop I used to work at, ASHA and surprised the family working there, saw familiar faces, and was greeted on the street I used to live on with the shouts of boys calling out for me to play football with them. I stayed around Kenton with a neighboring Indian family, sharing meals and getting time with their son. I had several long conversations over tea, late nights with friends and dinners with families. The time flew by. After being gone almost a year it was comforting to know that the community that had become family to me was still there and still family in many ways despite the distance.
2.enjoying London with friends
I was able to take two boys to a Chelsea match. They had way more gear than me and their relentless chattering exhibited their enthusiasm. though Seattle has their own team now, their matches don't compare to those in the Premier League. I met a friend from high school who is working at a theatre in downtown London and she showed me around the backstage and introduced me to her coworkers. It is sweet to see someone pursue their dreams and trace how God opens up doors. Two high school students involved in the church plant New Life Suwarta Sangat were great as I played show and tell showing some of my favorite spots around the city. The Nottinghill Carnival was colorful, in more ways than one, and crowded but after hearing so much about it I am glad I went. After several full days of seeing people, it was nice to spend a few hours alone in Kew Gardens on an "Indian summer" day with rain pouring between sun breaks.















3. revisiting the ministries I was involved with

The building we were able to use rent free, Glebe Fellowship Hall, had been completely remodeled and our lease we had negotiated was finalized-which meant that I was visiting just before they were fully able to execute all their amazing ideas for using to host events and activities for the community. I was able to visit a few apprentices who were just starting program I had been a part of. It is exciting to keep up with them and hear how everything has developed since I was in their shoes.

4. an afternoon with the Irvines
Though my time with them was very short, it was sweet. The Irvine family with two kids and new baby in tow has just arrived a few days before I left and were the main family I got to know during my time in London. I got to wrestle, read, eat, and play with the kids and heard their stories and told my own of the past year. Reconnecting with kids does not happen easily and I was glad to find them so receptive to letting me back into their lives. The parents and I reflected on how easy and natural it felt for me to be there.

Overall I realized that despite the time and distance, I still have a community of friends in London that I can return to if/when a door opens in the future. But for now I remain in Seattle and begin my pursuit of a Masters in Teaching...another journey begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment